I'm not going to make it smarter
Sep. 9th, 2026 08:37 pmMy previous electric meter has been replaced with a "smart" one
https://www.wbur.org/news/2026/09/09/massachusetts-smart-meters-eversource-national-grid-time-of-use-rates
Supposedly. one can get information from looking at the hourly results (available online) and adjust one's lifestyle to save electricity. But it's not so smart. It informed me that my biggest use this summer was cooling. I have fans in almost every room but no air conditioning. I admit that the basic components of a dehumidifier are similar to that of an air conditioning unit, and it is surely the case that my usage goes up in the summer because I'm keeping the humidity low in the basement.* It gives an option for telling it more information about oneself to make its usage predictions more accurate. Not gonna.
* When the oil burner is on in the winter, it keeps it non-humid in the basement, so the dehumidifier is off.
https://www.wbur.org/news/2026/09/09/massachusetts-smart-meters-eversource-national-grid-time-of-use-rates
Supposedly. one can get information from looking at the hourly results (available online) and adjust one's lifestyle to save electricity. But it's not so smart. It informed me that my biggest use this summer was cooling. I have fans in almost every room but no air conditioning. I admit that the basic components of a dehumidifier are similar to that of an air conditioning unit, and it is surely the case that my usage goes up in the summer because I'm keeping the humidity low in the basement.* It gives an option for telling it more information about oneself to make its usage predictions more accurate. Not gonna.
* When the oil burner is on in the winter, it keeps it non-humid in the basement, so the dehumidifier is off.